XNA 4.0 Compatibility

Oct 24, 2010 at 7:01 AM

Great job on this editor :)

Any plans on getting it working in VS 2010 and XNA 4.0?

Oct 24, 2010 at 9:50 AM

If you want to do this - go ahead and create fork...

Oct 24, 2010 at 9:45 PM

I tried... that's why I asked haha. It gives me a bunch of errors so I was hoping someone who was more familiar with it could help me :( I'll keep trying and definitely post it if I get it working.

Oct 30, 2010 at 3:50 PM

hmmm... I have it working on XNA 4.0. Now just to remember how I did it...

Are you getting the errors in the Level.cs file? If you are, then I can give you mine, because mine is working perfectly, I just don't remember what I did to it to make it work.

Oct 30, 2010 at 8:36 PM

Dragon - Thanks for replying.

I've cleared up most of the errors - the one remaining is in XNAColorUITypeEditor.cs, where it tries to inherit from ColorEditor, which is supposed to be located in System.Drawing.Design. It's not there... I have made sure I have referenced System.Drawing.Design but ColorEditor won't show up. I'm using VS 2010 and XNA 4.0. 

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Oct 31, 2010 at 1:16 PM

wait, your not updating just the Level.cs file? Your updating the whole program to XNA 4.0? I have to ask why you would want to do that, it seems like it would be easier to keep in 3.1. There is no need to update the program itself, as long as the Level.cs file that you imput into your game is prepped for VS2010 you should be set to go.

Nov 8, 2010 at 10:57 AM

Well, a 4.0 version of the complete Editor would be nice :)

Nov 13, 2010 at 12:30 AM

but what purpose would it serve?

Nov 14, 2010 at 3:08 AM

A 4.0 compatible version would be very helpful for those of us who would like to add some game-specific features to the editor.  Modifying Level.cs and Custom Properties provide quite a bit of flexibility, but I have some crazy goals in mind that require editing more of the code base.

In order to accomplish these, I need to share more code between my game project and GLEED than just Level.cs.  To do this, I have had to link individual code files, separate classes into multiple files to isolate dependencies, etc; if GLEED were 4.0 compatible, I could have it just reference my game project and not to have to find workarounds.

Regardless, much thanks to the GLEED team for providing a fantastic editor.

@blindgizzle - You may have given up by now, but just in case any one else runs across this ColorEditor problem, here is the solution.  Change your GLEED project target profile from .NET Framework 4.0 Client to .NET Framework 4.0 (under project properties -> applications).  Then you should be able to add a reference to System.Drawing.Design (delete the old one, go back and re-add it) which will contain ColorEditor.  You will run into some more problems before getting it to compile, but I did at least get that far.  My problem was that circles didn't render correctly (invisible until you dragged a selection box over them), and I couldn't figure that out so I scrapped it and went the linked source files route.

Nov 16, 2010 at 4:13 AM

Figured the circles issue out - I used the wrong Color type for some files (XNA color instead of System.Drawing.Color).  Once I switched that the circles displayed correctly, and thus far GLEED seems perfectly happy running on XNA 4.0.

Really, once you get past the ColorEditor reference issue its only 5 to 10 minutes of work, just have to look up all the old XNA method signatures which no longer compile and convert them to the new ones.

Jan 19, 2011 at 11:11 PM

I have converted my fork to xna 4.0 if someone is interested...

Jan 26, 2011 at 4:47 PM

@serioussam909  - Hi, I am, if you could tell me where can I get it...

Jan 30, 2011 at 9:10 AM
Edited Jan 30, 2011 at 9:10 AM

http://gleed2d.codeplex.com/SourceControl/network/Forks/serioussam909/AnimationsPhysicsObjects