Splitting Textures

Aug 30, 2010 at 8:13 PM

I know this isn't a tile based editor, but it would be nice if it supported splitting single images into multiple textures, not unlike a tile map. I've got several small textures I use for my game that need to be in a single image file for various reasons, but I'm unable to reference/use those textures in gleed2d unfortunately.

Nibato

Aug 30, 2010 at 8:14 PM

Hi Nibato,

that has been asked for before.  Hmmm, how exactly could that work for you to be useful?

Sep 1, 2010 at 10:11 AM

I think it could work the way Ogmo Editor uses the tiles for the tilesets, see http://www.ogmoeditor.com

It splits a texture in small squares that can be added to the map.

Sep 1, 2010 at 1:39 PM
Edited Sep 1, 2010 at 1:40 PM

i could imagine to support parsing in the description file (usually text or XML) that comes along with every spritesheet created by a spritesheet tool.

there are many spritesheet editors out there. a decision must be made which one(s) to support. which ones are you guys using?

the support could work like this:

* allow the user to import a description file, which must contain the path to the image file and the rectangles of the desired sprites (like name, top left corner, width, height, etc.)
* GLEED2D imports the image, cuts out the sprites and provides them in a nice spritesheet tab next to the "Primitives" tab, one tab per spritesheet.

Would that work? What has to be considered for the whole thing to work in a game project?

Sep 1, 2010 at 4:50 PM
Edited Sep 1, 2010 at 4:50 PM

This description file could also work for pre-defining properties for objects (a solution from my other post)

I use TileStudio BTW, and sometimes Mappy, but I think that a flat image should work (and defining the size of each tile inside the image in the description file)

Sep 19, 2010 at 12:28 AM

Hi guys, I'm new to this whole game making thing and that being the case, this GLEED2D program is a godsend. If I could only get it to work with my game the way I want it to -_-;; One of the things I was wondering about is the same thing Nibato asked. From what I've been reading and such, it's a good idea to have spritesheets instead of a single image for all the possibly hundreds of different tiles you'll be using so this feature of cutting up a sheet and being able to individually place the pieces seems like a good idea. Looking forward to it's implementation!

Steve

Sep 21, 2010 at 3:18 PM

I think it's better to compile your textures later, rather than having them together when building the level. I wrote a program that parses a level xml file looking for textures, and feeds them into SpriteSheetPacker.  http://spritesheetpacker.codeplex.com/

This way, I only have include the textures I use in that level, since there's no way I can fit all of my textures from all the levels into a single sheet.