Extra XML

Dec 10, 2012 at 7:55 PM

First, I just found this program yesterday and I have to say, Wow, that was easy.  This is an amazingly useful tool.  Great work!  I converted my currently in development Android game from loading maps from an old quake .map format created in Quark to loading maps created in this tool in less than two hours, and that included learning the how to parse XML in Android and writing code to do the importing.

I can now create maps in a fraction of the time it took before.  Thanks!

Wish list:

1) Easy way to output the XML without including tags I don't use.

2) An "entities" tab where I can define custom entities with custom tags so that when I drag it onto the map, the tags are automatically included.  I 

Dec 21, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Sorry for the wish list.  I hadn't used the program enough when I wrote that.  Just so you know, adding custom properties and copying textures with custom properties is easy enough that the second item on the wish list is gone for me.  The first item about removing tags I don't use would be nice, but is far from necessary because the xml compresses so well.

THIS PROGRAM IS GREAT!  And not just if you are doing a XNA based game.  I am writing an Android game, and the XML output of this program is so easy to parse and interpret that writing the code to import the map is amazingly simple (literally took me less than 2 hours to code without knowing Android XML parsing at the start).  I just edit the maps right out of the assets directory, can tweak something in Gleed and be running the change in literally seconds on my device.  Beautiful!  

Gleed 2d cut my level development time by 1000%.  A level that took me an hour to create before takes about FIVE MINUTES with Gleed.  And,, when I create a new entity or map element in my game, adding it to Gleed is as simple as creating a texture for it that is the right size.  And, the code update to support parsing the new item is stupid simple, even if it has new custom properties.  Level editing and support code used to be my biggest headache.  Now it is a joy.

I guess I just don't know how to express my gratitude for this simple, free, and perfectly applicable program.  

I will let you know when my android game using Gleed 2D as the editor is released.  So far, it is looking good.  

Thanks again.