Nov 20, 2010 at 1:53 AM
Edited Nov 20, 2010 at 1:59 AM
That would probably work fine as long as you auto-generate unique IDs each time -any- object is created. The unique ID should be of the format NNNNN where N = [0-9]
1. Open new level, create a new layer
2. Create object, ID assigned is 00001
3. Create a new layer, switch to new layer
4. Create object, ID assigned is 00002
5. Grab objects 00001 and 00002, press 'Define User Item'. You are prompted for Object name input. This will be a custom property called ObjectType. Set it to "MyItemType"
6. Go to User Item tab, select your new ObjectType
7. Click on level, and object 00003 is created. It has the custom property ObjectType="MyItemType"
Note: If you're going to allow selections of multiple items to become objects, you'll need to somehow count/indicate how many sub objects there are in the group. You may want to ignore the layer information if they are on separate layers, also.
It could be a problem if when you tried to create objects, you had to inject them into the level based on layers that may or may not exist at that moment in the future.