After save

Coordinator
Aug 30, 2010 at 7:27 PM
Edited Aug 30, 2010 at 7:29 PM

Humm, here I go again! I wonder if it would be too much trouble to include running an app of my choosing right after the .XML save? I'm building an rpg, and now that I've been working with the game and your editor, I'm feeling the need for something like this. I have a team of guys all making new levels, and I'm starting to want a way to run a program of my own to place the newly saved levels into an organized database. Also, I'm starting to add some of my own custom flavor to the .XML, even optimizing them just a bit for my own needs. Save-time would be a great place to run such an app (especially when you consider levels being created/edited by several team mates).

Your "Run Level" gave me the idea. You can just add another (optional) "After Save" .exe file with the saved file passed on the command line.

Let me know what you think,
Lawrence (GleeLaw)

--------------------------------------------------------

As you mentioned, this functionality is already built in and called "Run Level".

Isn't "Run Level" exactly what you are looking for? Just provide an executable (.exe or .bat) and by pressing F5:

- the level is saved
- the executable is called
- the path to the saved level XML is passed as a command line parameter

Check out the third Video Tutorial for an example of its usage.

zissakos

Yeah, I suppose that could work. Just I plan to make use of run level, to actually test the level. But when I save out I'd like to have the chance to do some "extra" processing.

[...]

GleeLaw

Well, I had a think about just using Run Level. My problem is that I'm the programmer of the team. So other non programmers will be working the level editor to make the levels. As the programmer, I'm struggling to keep all the levels and the storyboard scripts together in order. So I was looking for a way of running an app to build the levels into the database along with some script storyboarding, and someother boring details. For me this process would work best done at save time only rather than frequently during test runs. Mostly because saving will cause data to be shared with all the computers in our team via the internet.

In a perfect world, this would be great for me, but I've come up with some other ideas that I can "hack up" to make it work - kinda sorta maybe sometimes!
I suppose this is something I'd do easily myself if I just had the source. I can't see it being more than 10-20 mins of work. I can't blame you if you don't want to add it. It's not a very exciting feature, it's mostly a "team work" feature.

To be exact, all I figured you'd have to do is allow a place to enter an application name as a string in the settings. Then in your save code, if the string has been set, run the app (send the file name as a parameter of course). If the app string has not been set, it's business as usual.

Thanks,
Lawrence

--------------------------------------------------------------------
This post/conversation was originally located at the old gleed2d forums and was moved here in September 2010 by the project coordinator, zissakos.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Coordinator
Aug 30, 2010 at 7:27 PM

Aaah, now I understand. Same thing as with "Run Level", just triggered on each save.

No problem. I will add that to my roadmap.

Coordinator
Sep 1, 2010 at 8:15 PM

implemented in version 1.3